Understanding the main spatial disparities and imbalances, defining the priorities for balanced development and identifying development models draws the objectives of this theme. Urban and peri-urban areas, disadvantaged or remote rural areas, areas characterized by social exclusion, small towns as the basis of the urban system or cities seen as engines of development and creativity are mainly concerned.
Themes co-responsible: Bogdan Suditu, Mariana Nae, Gabriel Simion, Elena Bogan.
- Deindustrialization and urban regeneration – territorial planning and social geography analyses: Bogdan Suditu;
- Urban and housing policies with an impact on residential mobility, segregation, gentrification and urban expansion – investigates the actors and normative and operational instruments: Bogdan Suditu;
- Socio-Spatial Patterns and Processes within Bucharest: Mariana Nae;
- Marginal urban areas and informal settlements – socio-spatial analysis: Bogdan Suditu;
- Railway transport and the industrial evolution of Bucharest: Gabriel Simion.
- Land use: a vital element of the quality of life in the Bucharest-Ilfov metropolitan area: Gabriel Simion;
- Urban restructuring – deindustrialization, tertiarization, creative industries, capitalization and reuse of cultural heritage: Elena Bogan;